2012 • Looking into the Future
Last November Bootsnall held an Indie Travel Challenge where they gave a topic prompt and bloggers were challenged to use each days prompts to write a post for their blog. Basically it was like a travel version of NaNoWriMo -which I attempted to do, but got too busy and stopped doing. ANYWAY in 2012 Bootsnall is doing the Indie Travel Challenge again, except this time they’ll be giving a topic prompt every week instead of every day and it will last for the entire year.
This week’s prompt (the first of the year) is ‘Resolutions’. A fitting topic.
As some of you know 2012 is a big year for me as a traveler and writer as well as for SpunkyGirl Monologues. In many ways I’m sure some of you are under the impression that I actually sat down and decided to make 2012 an epic year. I wish I could say that is how it happened. Truth be told, I planned in small pieces and the year slowly unfolded in front of me, surprising even me when it came into full view.
After 45 days in Africa, I had decided to relax and rejuvenate in Penang, Malaysia. This is where my first 2012 travel adventure was born. I was dreaming big. I knew that. But after emailing a Christine and picking her brain, I knew I could do it. Then I flew back to Canada and signed on for another epic, plan-intensive adventure and my year went from a sticky note to a full-blown wall map.
What are my 2012 Travel Plans & Resolutions?
I think a list would work better in this instance, so here you go. SpunkyGirl’s 2012!
- A weekend in New York City in January -planning with my Mongol Rally teammate, Charlie, exploring Brooklyn with Alisha & meeting NYC Tweeps.
- Banff, AB for a Frozen Flash Mob at Sunshine Ski Resort, snowshoeing, dog sledding, hanging out the Eddie Burger + Bar, The Banff Ave Brewing Co., partying at Auroa and more!
- Attend more travel related trade shows. I met the lovely folks from Intrepid Travel at the Outdoor Adventure Show in Calgary last year and I have loved working with them. This year I hope to make it to the Outdoor Adventure Show in Toronto, Social Media Week in Toronto, the NY Times Travel Show, and maybe attend TBU in Umbria which is a travel bloggers conference. After that, I’m in full-blown travel & rally mode.
- BE MYSELF -Who knew it would be such a challenge to be myself! I’ve flitted away from who I am to who I thought I needed to be. Well, this year I’m saying “F*@k it!” and going back to being myself.
- Write more -I’m thrilled to be writing for both Travel + Escape and CheapOair Canada’s Travel Blog in 2012. I’m also working on doing more guest posts etc.
- Raise an OBSCENE amount of money for charity! My fellow SM Stowaway teammates Charlie Grosso, and I decided to raise £75,000 for The Lotus Children’s Center Charitable Trust, this years Mongol Rally charity. It’s a tough goal, but we’re stubborn women.
- Conquer the MONGOL RALLY! I’m on an all female team and we’re going to kick ass. We’re also going to cross the finish line in Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia.
- Travel on the Silk Road, solo! This is the first adventure I planned for 2012 and I’m very excited about it.
- Be a social butterfly -I tend to enjoy quiet time, but in 2012 I’m going to cast aside my introverted ways and become a social butterfly both online and in life.
- Vlogging is going to be big for me in 2012. I planning to do a lot more videos for not only my blog, but Travel + Escape and other websites as well.
- Become a better Photographer!
There are still a few being added; after I nail down my Mongol Rally route, but these are the ones I’ll definitely be going to in 2012.
- Czech Republic
What about blog Changes?
There won’t be a lot of changes in 2012 as I’ll be fairly busy, however there are a few goals for this blog.
- Increase readership
- Build a stronger and more vocal community
- Provide more information and support for solo female travelers
- Increase Facebook interactions/ community
- More Guest posts!
- More photo essays -once my photog skills have increased. lol
- Vlog entries
2012 is the beginning of so many adventures. I’m writing for websites other than my own. I’m doing more adventure travel. I’m stepping into the world of vlogging. I’m stretching beyond my boundaries in ways that I never imagined. I’m learning languages, how to put together press releases etc. 2012 will be a year of challenge and change and I am ready for it!
What are YOUR resolutions or goals for 2012?