I Exercised Today and I Didn’t Die. It Was a Good Day.

Wow, two posts in a row! Don’t get too excited, this is a trend that is bound to fail. Trust me.

I didn’t work on the guidebook today. I had intended to do it, I even wrote a little note to work on itineraries and day trips as I am writing a short article on day trips for Québec City Tourism’s blog. May as well do both at once, right?

What is the saying about best-laid plans? I don’t fully remember it, but mine changed.

Instead of working on the guidebook I decided to put on some yoga pants, grab my running shoes and drive out to my friend’s house in the country to work out. She has a home gym and mentioned I could use it anytime, even if nobody is home.

Today, I finally took her up on the offer.

I admit, it felt weird to walk into her house when nobody was home.

[I’m tempted to start hiding notes in her house whenever I’m there alone and wait to see how long it take for her or her kids to find them]

Have you ever done weight training and then taken a break… For eight years.

Seriously. The last time I did any kind of weight-based exercise was in 2008. It’s been so long, I have forgotten the names of almost all of the machines.

I started on the leg press, which was comical as the peddles where my feet go is level with my massive boobs. It’s a good thing nobody was there because getting my feet in position was an exercise itself. I almost fell off the seat. Twice.

Over the next 30-40 mins, I did leg curls (I just Googled this and I’m pretty sure I sat in the machine wrong. Ha ha ha ha) and chest presses, then back to leg presses. I rotated back and forth. I even spent a whopping 3 mins on an elliptical machine.

It was truly impressive.

The good news is that I can still walk. I was pretty sure my legs would buckle due to lack of muscle, but they survived!

Of course, on the drive home when I saw that Eat Like Sabby, a Mediterranean restaurant in town, was open I had to stop and grab a Gyro pita to go. The owner’s mom always stuffs mine with a ridiculous amount of meat and sauce, but damn, it tastes so good.

[The photo of my gyro is at the top of this post because my “exercise” photo is super lame]

I should feel bad, but I don’t. I’ve been craving a pita from Sabby for days now.

438 words… why is this so hard?! Not too long ago I was lucky to write a post under 1,000 words!!


The Facebook diet hasn’t started yet. Maybe I’ll start it March 1st. I need to give up drinking Diet Coke too, but giving up Facebook and Diet Coke at the same time seems like a foolish endeavour.

Oh! I re-downloaded Snapchat (savvyabroad). That, like this blog, depends entirely on whether I have anything to share that is not insanely boring. Ha!

518! Okay, I’m peacing out. See y’all tomorrow or three days from now or in a month. Anything is possible.


I’ve Been “Writing” My Guidebook for Too Long, And I’m Going to Try Regular Blog Posts

This is the book that never ends, it seems to go on and on my friends…

I feel as though I have been writing my guidebook to Québec City for three years and I am going nowhere.

Oh, wait, I have been writing it for the last three years.

Read more

After A Two-Year Hiatus, I Have Moved Back to Québec City

Sitting on one of the window sills in my apartment, I survey my surroundings. Black reusable shopping bags filled with food, books, and other household items are strewn around the floor in the kitchen and living area; two black and country style kitchen chairs waiting to be placed, a white laundry basket filled with cozy blankets; two large cardboard boxes from IKEA are ripped open on the ground. I have spent the last two and a half hours building a kitchen island/table and it is still not completed. I’m tired, and sore, and wishing their was an IKEA fairy who could make all my furniture-building wishes come true.

Read more

Staying Sane During A Travel Hiatus

I have spent the better part of six yeas travelling around the world, spending a month, maybe two, in my hometown in Ontario, Canada. My passport and backpack were the two constants in my life. And then at the beginning of March, things changed. I fell, several times, while walking on icy sidewalks and streets in Québec City, my home away from home.

I’m not new to falling, especially in Québec City, but this time was different, on the day I was set to fly back to Toronto I slipped once more at the bottom of the stairs outside my hotel, twisting my back as I fell. That evening, as I stood in line at the airport to go through security my back ceased up to the point where I needed a wheelchair.

Read more

If I’m in Canada, Why Have I Been Silent?

I’m still very much alive, although my silence would have some assume otherwise. I’m in Canada. I’m staying with family. I’ve been here since mid-December, and I probably won’t leave until May or June. Most days (during the week) I get dressed about 3:00 p.m. as that is when my nieces get home from school and they hang at my mom’s house for a few hours until their parents are finished working for the day. While I spend my of my day without pants, that doesn’t mean I’m watching movies all day and eating chocolate, I’m usually on my laptop, writing, just not on here.

Read more

My Search for Balance While Living a Life of Travel

My dad wasnt buried the day he died, because the ground was too hard. His burial didnt take place until two months later, on May 30, 2015.

Its not always easy to forget your family and travel the world; sometimes things happen in life where you find yourself making a tough choice, continuing a trip or returning home when your family needs you. I chose to return to Canada and move back in with my parents to help care for my dad.

Read more

Creating A Travel-Life Balance

Lox & Cream Cheese bagel at Nu Bügel

I never thought I would struggle to create a travel-life balance. You hear about work-life balance, but rarely about creating a travel-life balance. It seems off, wrong is some way. Travel is a privilege, so why on earth would someone feel the need to create a travel-life balance? The answer is both simple and complicated, I’m torn between the two.

Read more

Moving Forward After The Death of My Dad


It’s been almost two months since my Dad passed away in a hospital room in Fergus, Ontario. I remember getting the call to drive home early from Québec City, which resulted in the longest nine hours of my life, where I pleaded for him to wait for me to get to his bedside. Two days later I was holding his hand, stroking his hair, and telling him it was time for him to go. I then watched him take his last breath.

Read more